Monday, September 25, 2006

Chowtime @ Crema

It struck me as somewhat odd that I hadn't had much occasion to sample the delights of the cuisine south of the border, not counting sporadically treating myself to the #5 Chalupa combo at Taco Bell. I totally miss the gorditas!. Of course no one seriously thinks the talking chihuahua is selling real Mexican food, so I was glad that my Meetup brunch group recently had brunch at the hip restaurant Crema in Chelsea. As you can see, the sign outside its doors proudly declares that it was voted "#1 Best Mexican" by Citysearch.

Our group immediately took a liking to the bright interiors which gave a light, welcoming vibe. The predominant orange hue reminded me of the similarly-colored shirts I used to wear to work that attracted quite a lot of raised eyebrows. LOL. As most of us were starved, we ordered from the brunch menu immediately and eagerly sipped the mimosas while waiting for the food to arrive.

Finally, the food came, and I managed to hold off the urge to dig in immediately, and took a few snapshots - all in the name of research not only for the readers of this blog, but also for my upcoming trip to Mexico (you heard it here first!!).



Top left: Huevos motulenos, fried eggs over a tostada with black beans, turkey ham, avocado penela cheese and fresh salsa
Top right: Taquitos de Huevo Al Chile Guajillo, rolled flour tortillas filled with scrambled eggs and guajillo chile paste; beware, the sauce is hottttt
Bottom left: Tortitas de Elote Dulce, sweet corn flan fritters with goat cheese and rojas poblanas
Everyone's verdict was: not only do the dishes taste great, the presentation is quite enticing as well. A second visit to try the other brunch menu items is in order. For more details about Crema, check out their website here.

No comments: